Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pot Roast

The cold weather has arrived.

(Or at least our cold weather – down to the 30’s at night.)

Nothing says snuggling-in on a cold autumn day with your family than a delicious homemade pot roast.  (Or a nice hot toddy if you’re snuggling with my family, but that’s a discussion for a different day.)

Anyways, I’ve kind of gone back to my cooking roots (they’re so deep you know) and am exploring my crock pot options these days.  I wanted to make a pot roast because it sounded comforting, warm, and I knew it would smell up my kitchen for hours.  I also hoped to find a recipe that was a little different from the typical pot roast.

When I saw this recipe at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe, I knew I’d found it.

Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pot Roast, from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe

4-7 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed of large areas of fat

1-2 T saute spice (equal parts garlic powder, salt and black pepper)

2 T vegetable oil

1 can root beer

1 can (around 9-ish ounces, the size of a soup can) red chile enchilada sauce

2 T Worcestershire sauce

1 T hot sauce

3 T cornstarch

¼ c of water or milk

Pat the roast(s) dry with a paper towel; then rub the saute spice all over the roast.  Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet until it is shimmering.  Brown the roast on all sides in the hot oil, for about 1 minute on each side.  The oil should be hot enough to get the roast nicely browned without burning it.

Transfer the roast to a 4-8 quart slow cooker.  In a bowl, combine the root beer, enchilada sauce, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce and pour over the roast.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours.

Remove the roast, reserving juices in the slow cooker.  Tent the roast with foil to keep warm.  In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water/milk, stirring well until the cornstarch is completely dissolved.  Stir the cornstarch mixture into the juices in the slow cooker.  Cook, uncovered, on high for 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve sauce over roast with mashed potatoes or any other sides.

Did you notice (how could you not?) that this recipe is made with root beer??  I was really excited to make it because I’d told Hubs that it would include some secret ingredients.  I wanted to test his taste buds to see if he could identify the unusual flavorings.

I started off rubbing and then browning the roast.  I’m so proud that I don’t freak out anymore when have to touch raw beef, fish, or pork (chicken’s still a whole other matter, though).

Aren't you glad I remembered to put the oil in first?

I put it in my lovely crock pot, mixed up my bubbly root beer concoction, and poured it on top.

6 hours on high later, I had a moist, flavorful, absolutely delicious pot roast – and some darn fine gravy to go with it.  Minimal work with fabulous results!  Definitely my kind of recipe.

The root beer (or root beard as my son calls it) gave it a sweet carmel-y tone that matched well with the spicy enchilada sauce and salty worcestershire.  We also used the gravy on some delicious buttery mashed potatoes Hubs made, and it was heaven.

Unfortunately, that same four-year old (who shall now be known as Big Mouth) told Hubs the secret ingredients, so my little game did not come to fruition.  But in the end, I was okay with that because I was the big winner with this mouth-watering little gem of a recipe.

The perfect warmer-upper on a crisp, cold day.

Tagged: , , ,

12 thoughts on “Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pot Roast

1. Kristy November 11, 2011 at 8:15 am Reply

Great minds think alike. My similar post is going up shortly. ;) This looks so good! I love the sweet and spicy combo.

2. Casie November 11, 2011 at 8:16 am Reply

I just made this on Tuesday night…it was SO yummy!!! Glad you liked it, too!

3. Carrie@ Bakeaholic Mama November 11, 2011 at 9:15 am Reply

I tend to get bored with my crock pot roast beef… what a great way to spice things up. I’m going to try this!

4. Caroline November 11, 2011 at 9:52 am Reply

I’m loving the addition of root beer. We always add Coca-Cola to our ribs, so I know sugary soda does wonders! Yikes, I can’t believe you’re in the low 30s…and I’m thinking the 50s are cold here in CA! I’m a wimp ever since I moved here from Ohio though.

5. Melanie November 11, 2011 at 10:39 am Reply

So glad you loved this recipe! We love the secret ingredient component too…sorry the beans got spilled before you could trick you husband into guessing!

6. Geni - Sweet and Crumby November 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm Reply

This sounds fabulous! I’ve never added root beer to my roast but I think it sounds like a great idea! What a delicious meal with the mashed potatoes…OK…I’m comin’ right over…although it’s about 70 degrees here today…maybe I should stay put.

7. misssrobin November 11, 2011 at 9:23 pm Reply

Sounds yummy!

Thanks for visiting on my SITS day. It was a really fun day for me.

I hope you have a lovely weekend.

8. Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious November 12, 2011 at 6:10 am Reply

Wow, this looks so delicious and homey Courtney! Thanks for sharing!

9. hotlyspiced November 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm Reply

The end result looks so delicious. I love slow-cooking and Autumn is the right time of year to slow cook.

10. Kay aka Babygirl November 13, 2011 at 12:58 pm Reply

We’re down to 40’s at night and I can’t stand it lol. But this Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pot Roast looks amazing. This is such a wonderful recipe I can’t wait to try

11. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide November 13, 2011 at 8:39 pm Reply

Gotta say this idea is kinda genius!

12. Miz Helen November 18, 2011 at 7:38 am Reply

Your Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pot Roast looks so good. I wish it was in my Crock Pot right now. My very best wishes to you and your family for a blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen