Molten Dark Chocolate Cookies

WARNING: The following recipe contains chocolate.  Not your everyday milk chocolate, but an obscene amount of dark chocolate flavor.  Do not attempt to make if you are at all unsure of your chocolate preference.  Do not attempt if you haven’t built up your chocolate tolerance with several years of chocolate enjoyment.  This recipe may cause extreme giddiness, uncontrollable urges to continue eating cookies, and a small sugar high.  Do not operate machinery while consuming recipe.  Adult supervision is recommended.

(And you all think I’m kidding.)

This recipe, for me (an avid fan of dark chocolate), is one of the best chocolate cookie recipes I have ever had.  Try it if you dare…

Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies, from Divine Baking, who adapted it from Epicurious

1 1/2 c bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 oz), divided into 1 c & 1/2 c

3 large egg whites, room temperature

2 c + powdered sugar, divided into 1 c & 1 c

1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder

1 T cornstarch

1/4 t salt

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray.  Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes.  Cool slightly.

Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks.  Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow creme.  Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend.  On low-speed, beat dry ingredients into meringue.  Stir in lukewarm chocolate and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (dough will become very stiff).

Place a little extra sugar in bowl.  Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; roll in sugar, coating thickly.  Place on prepared sheet.  Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart.  Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes.  Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes.  Transfer to rack; cool.

I think I kinda already gave away the results, don’t you think?

Let’s see, things I think you should know… well, after you mix pretty much everything and then add the melted chocolate, the dough gets very, very stiff.  Don’t be surprised.  It will all be fine, I promise.

The cookies will be molten for quite a while (but I did learn this morning at breakfast – yes, I had one at breakfast – that they eventually do lose their molten glory, but are still amazing!).  So enjoy them while slightly warm to get the full effect.

Really, you should check out the original website - her pictures do these cookies much more justice.

Finally, I actually think they don’t really even need the powdered sugar.  They do make them look pretty, but after inhaling a bunch while taking a bite (and coughing up a storm), I could do without.  Your preference, though.

So, there you go.

The perfect cookie for the dark chocoholic in your life.

Just heed my warnings and keep an eye on them while they eat.

You never know what these cookies might cause them to do.

Tagged: , , ,

21 thoughts on “Molten Dark Chocolate Cookies

1. Sinful Baker February 9, 2012 at 9:39 am Reply

I love rich chocolate desserts, but I’m not much of a dark chocolate fan (shut up! really? I know!). The darkest I can go is a semi-sweet chocolate chip. Are these cookies too dark chocolately for me?

• Courtney February 9, 2012 at 11:54 am Reply

I think they might be – but you could easily substitute semi-sweet for the bittersweet, and I’m sure they’d still be heavenly.

2. smartfoodandfit February 9, 2012 at 9:50 am Reply

I love this recipe, it has simple ingredients! Dark chocolate (60% or more of cocoa) has heart health benefits. Makes indulging not so bad, huh!

3. jo-lyn February 9, 2012 at 10:17 am Reply

Ohmygosh! these make me wanna be naughty!! ;)

4. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 9, 2012 at 10:47 am Reply

That’s just perfect.

5. Pâte à Chew February 9, 2012 at 10:58 am Reply

WOW! These cookies look PERFECT for me!

6. Geni - Sweet and Crumby February 9, 2012 at 11:08 am Reply

You know I am all over these Courtney! Can’t WAIT to try a molten cookie! These do look devilishly chocolatey, but you know what?! My bittersweet chocolate has been DEPLETED by my last recipe. Gasp! I must replenish to make these soon!

7. Purely.. Kay February 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reply

Now you did say an obscene amount of chocolate right? Well then.. this is the BEST POST EVER lol. I love a molten cake.. but cookies? Yes, you have definitely gone above and beyond and I thank you for it :). These are great!

8. Norma Chang February 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm Reply

This recipe is indeed for me. I built up my chocolate tolerance years ago.

9. Casie February 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm Reply

I have been looking at this recipe for a while now–I need to make them! They are gluten-free, too, so Claire will be able to enjoy the cookies with me! :)

10. sarahmryberg February 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm Reply

Oh my goodness! These look heavenly. I am such a chocoholic and these are definitely calling to me!

11. Wholesome Cook February 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reply

Wow they do look rich and oozy, that’s all one needs in a cookie right?

12. Caroline February 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm Reply

Wooah, you weren’t kidding. That’s some serious chocolate!! Though they look spectacular, as you know, I unfortunately wouldn’t like them because of my stupid aversion to chocolate haha argh!

13. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise February 12, 2012 at 6:53 am Reply

Oh my!`
    These are beyond amazing!
    I can’t wait to make them

14. [...] I saw Courtney’s (Misadventures in Cooking)  Molten Chocolate Cookies, I went a little crazy. These are the cookies of my dreams folks. I can’t imagine any cookie [...]

15. Stefanie February 12, 2012 at 6:12 pm Reply

Bookmarking!!! I love lava cakes, and put them in more bite sized form…. oh wow!!! Perfect for one of those days when a strong chocolate craving hits (i.e. all the time!)

16. Geni - Sweet and Crumby February 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply

I MADE THESE! They are AWESOME! Everyone is scarfing them down and I appreciated the extra info on the powdered sugar and did not quite cover them in it. They were perfect! Thank you so much for sharing these!

17. lisa February 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm Reply

These look sinful! I can’t wait to try them…thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

18. filingawaycupcakes February 17, 2012 at 2:07 am Reply

These look absolutely decadent! I so have to try them. P.S. I love your blog, it is so real. You are not pretending to be a pro, and I dig it.

19. Erin @ A Crafty Cook February 17, 2012 at 7:36 am Reply

Yumm, yumm, yumm. I’ll take dark chocolate over milk chocolate any day. I’d love it if you stopped by my blog to link these up. along with anything else you would like to share. http://acraftycook.blogspot.com/2012/02/1-month-of-fun-february-link-party.html

20. Miz Helen February 20, 2012 at 7:02 am Reply

Do you think it would be ok if I just had a couple of those awesome cookies for breakfast? They look soooo good! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a wonderful week!
    Come Back Soon,