No-Bake Energy Bites

I have another shameful secret to share with you all today.

I don’t eat breakfast.

(Not in the traditional sense, at least.)

I know, I know – breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I get it.  But I am just not at all hungry first thing in the morning.  Maybe because I’m usually running around like a crazy lady getting the boys and myself ready.  Or maybe it’s because I fill up on my very necessary cup of coffee first thing in the morning.  Whatever it is, I don’t typically eat a good breakfast.

I do get hungry around 10ish – and usually have a quick energy/granola/health bar then.  This keeps me satisfied until lunch.

But I’m kind of getting tired of the available bar choices; plus there are always ingredients that I don’t recognize.

So when I saw these little guys on Pinterest (yes, I know, I’m thoroughly addicted and I admit it), I was excited to give them a try.

No-Bake Energy Bites, slightly adapted from Smashed Peas and Carrots

1 c oatmeal

1/2 c peanut butter (or other nut butter)

1/3 c honey

1 c shredded coconut

1/2 c ground flaxseed

1/2 c dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 t vanilla

Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated.  Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.  Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.  Makes about 18, depending on size.

Each and every one of the ingredients looked perfect for me – except for the flax-seed.  Now, I honestly don’t think I’d ever had flax-seed before, so I was excited to buy some and try it out.  I couldn’t find any pre-ground at the store, so I bought the full seeds with the intention of grounding them up at home.

Well, the minute I opened the bag, I could smell the flax seeds.  And the smell was not appetizing to me at all.  I quickly ground them up (while trying not to breathe through my nose), and added them to my mix; hoping against hope that the other flavors would overpower the flax.

After mixing everything up, chilling the mix in the fridge, and forming the round bites, I gave in and took a bite.

It wasn’t my favorite, I admit – mostly because I could taste the flax.  But, I realized after a couple bites, the taste began to grow on me.  Once into my second ‘bite’ I realized I liked them.  I know that’s not the most positive recommendation I’ve ever given, but it gets better.

My oldest son was very interested in what I was eating, so I gave him one to try.  And he loved it.  (As in, wants-it-for-dessert-every-day loved it.)  He had three before I could stop him.

My youngest son was interested in what his brother was eating – so I gave him one to try.  And guess what, he loved them, too.

And, finally, my husband thought they were fantastic, as well.

So maybe it’s my taste-buds that were a little off at first.  (Though I’d hate to admit that.)

Either way, I will be making these quite a bit, I’m sure.

They’re pretty good for you and a great healthier treat for the kiddos.

And a quick and easy breakfast snack for me.

~~~~

Edited to add: So, they have definitely grown on me as I’ve munched on them over the last couple of days.  Also, check out Lisa’s version here, she rolled them in cocoa!  Genius, I tell you.  Plus she’s an expert on health and nutrition, so if she says they’re good for you, I’m in!

16 thoughts on “No-Bake Energy Bites

1. Kristy February 16, 2012 at 3:12 pm Reply

Oh I think my kiddos would love these too! And I’m all about easy in the morning. :) I think I even have some flax seed lying around. :)

2. [...] As I was typing up this post, I got Courtney‘s eamil on her most recent blog post, ”No Bake Energy Bites“. I had to laugh, what are the chances of us posting similar recipes on the same day!     [...]

3. smartfoodandfit February 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reply

I had to laugh when I got your email on this post b/c I was typing up my post on the very exact same recipe! What a coincidence! ha, ha, ha. My version is a bit different but I’m sure they all taste fantastic!

4. Purely.. Kay February 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reply

Me and you are definitely alike. I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but I am not that hungry in the morning. Sometimes I force myself to eat breakfast and usually when I do that, I stay full throughout the day. But these energy bites really look good.. I think I will try them out

5. Wholesome Cook February 17, 2012 at 1:58 am Reply

Yay! Finally energy balls that are not too overly sweet with dates and other dried fruit!!! I’m so making these for after my weekend long distance runs!

6. Geni - Sweet and Crumby February 17, 2012 at 4:58 am Reply

I am intrigued and a little scared of the flax seed since you gave them such a rousing review. ;) The energy balls sound like a great snack though and so glad for you that the kiddos liked them. YAY!

7. Caroline February 17, 2012 at 10:05 am Reply

I’m not a breakfast person at all either! Though, I DO get really hungry in the morning haha, but just eat a yogurt or a banana. Even if I go to a restaurant for breakfast, I’m always stumped and don’t know what to order since I’m not a huge fan of the meal. These little energy bites could change that though. They sound great!!

8. jo-lyn February 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm Reply

Nom Nom Nom *makes energy bites and stuffs her face* =)

9. Danielle February 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm Reply

Im addicted to these!, I add chopped roasted pecans, , but I must say “great for the digestive system too!:-)

10. smartfoodandfit February 17, 2012 at 7:15 pm Reply

Awhh, thanks Courtney for the shout out! :) You are too SWEET! Have a great weekend!

11. Kim in NJ February 20, 2012 at 8:58 am Reply

Just like you, I saw them on Pinterst and decided to give them a shot. I had ground flaxseed in my fridge to use as an easy way to up my omega 3 consumption. I’m not sure the pre-ground flaxseed had much of an aroma. Anyway, these had to grow on me too. The flaxseed and honey were a little overpowering for me, but that didn’t stop me from eating a second, third and fourth!! My husband could eat an entire batch in one sitting and my 7 yr old son loves them too (he’s a big coconut fan). My 7 yr old daughter, however, did not like them.

12. Jeanne July 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm Reply

Looks yummy!!! I’m going to make them to boost my energy during chemo and radiation for breast cancer. How many energy balls am I allowed to have per day? What is ideal? Thank you!!!

• Courtney July 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm Reply

I think you can have as many as you’d like – just as a reasonable snack. I think I’ve had three or more in a day – they’re kind of addicting. :) Good luck with your chemo and radiation, Jeanne!

13. jeannelynn July 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm Reply

Looks yummy and easy!! I’m going through chemo now and soon to radiation for my breast cancer. I hear protein bars helped. So I am going to make this. How many per day am i allowed to have? Ideal per day? Thank you!

14. jeannelynn July 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm Reply

Oops! I didn’t think the 1st comment went through! Sorry! Thank you so much for the answer!! Can i add Chia seeds on top of flaxseeds? Or only one of them at a time? Thanks again!!!

• Courtney July 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm Reply

No worries! :) You can pretty much take the base and make these whatever tastes great to you. I think Chia seeds would be a great idea. :)