Mint Milanos {Copycat}

So, remember a couple posts ago when I said that macaroons are my favorite cookies…well, I might have been wrong.

I had forgotten all about Mint Milanos.

Mint Milanos are my go-to cookie if I need something ASAP from the store.  And if I happen to be walking down the aisle and they’re on sale…let’s just say I am in big trouble then.

But today, today I learned how quick and easy they are to make at home.

Such a good thing – and a bad thing, too.

Mint Milanos, adapted from eat, live, run

2 sticks butter, softened

1/2 c sugar

1 3/4 c flour

1/4 t salt

2 t vanilla extract

~~~~

1 c semi sweet chocolate chips

1/4 t mint extract

~~~~

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream together the softened butter and sugar either using a mixer or a wooden spoon.  Add the flour, salt and vanilla and mix until a soft dough comes together.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for thirty minutes.

After chilling, roll dough flat 1/2 inch thick (it’s helpful to use the Saran wrap on top of the dough so it doesn’t stick).  Cut out into shape of your choice.  (If necessary, re-chill dough to make it easier to work with.)  Place cookies on a lined or greased cookie tray and bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges start to brown.

Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Melt chocolate in a glass dish in the microwave during 30 second intervals, stirring well after each.  When chocolate is smooth, add mint extract and mix well.

Slather melted chocolate on one cookie and then sandwich another cookie on top.  Repeat until all cookies are sandwiched together.  Let cool for a few minutes until chocolate hardens.

You never know when you try one of these type of recipes, how they’re going to turn out.  And let’s just say this one does not disappoint.

I had a little bit of a struggle with the dough, mostly because I adapted the dough to be cut out instead of rolled into a log and cut.  The dough is really sticky, so I needed to make sure it was really chilled – and I used a spatula to gently lift off each of my Milano shaped cookies.

(By the way, my cookie cutter: a homemade plastic popsicle bottom that broke.  Hey, you use what you can that works.)

Anyhow, the cookies were crispy and buttery.  The chocolate was minty and rich.  Combined, they were simply delicious.

Overall, a solid version of the original… I think, though, to make them perfect, I’ll have to tweak a bit next time.  First, I’ll roll my dough a bit thinner – my cookie ratio was a little much for my chocolate.  Second, when I slather my chocolate, I will slather it and slather it good – and probably use a tad less mint extract.

But, with these small changes, these cookies are going to be amazing.  I just know it.

Not perfect looking, but with their taste, it doesn’t matter at all.

I seriously can not wait to make these again.  :)

Tagged: , , ,

13 thoughts on “Mint Milanos {Copycat}

1. Choc Chip Uru May 2, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

I can see why these beauties were unforgettable! They look amazing :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

2. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook May 2, 2012 at 9:54 pm Reply

Snap! I just made a version of store-inspired cookies too. Never heard of these, but they sure look good to me! Dangerous, but good!

3. crustabakes May 3, 2012 at 1:21 am Reply

They dont have to be perfect looking. They just have to be perfect tasting!! :)

4. Mary Ellen @ Pâte à Chew May 3, 2012 at 3:47 am Reply

Wow, they really do look like the store version, and I have no doubt they taste better!

5. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 3, 2012 at 4:54 am Reply

OK, now just put them in a white, foil lined bag and send them my way!

6. ChgoJohn May 3, 2012 at 6:10 am Reply

These look fantastic and, if you keep this up, you’ll have to rename your blog. “Misadventures” will hardly seem appropriate. :)

7. Jo-Lyn May 3, 2012 at 7:07 am Reply

No way!?!?! You make these at home! You’re a ROCKSTAR!! ;)

8. profiterolesandponytails May 3, 2012 at 10:07 am Reply

Macaroons are one of my favourites too, but I’ve never tried Mint Milanos. This is a very tempting recipe as you’ve made them look so good!

9. Bam's Kitchen May 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm Reply

I think your cookies are perfectly shaped-how did you do that? I think I would need a mould.

• Courtney May 4, 2012 at 7:50 am Reply

I actually used the bottom of a popsicle mold I had. It was the only thing close to the shape that I had. I may have broken off the stick to get it to work, but don’t tell my kids… ;)

10. Kristy May 3, 2012 at 7:57 pm Reply

I think they’re pretty darn close to perfect looking! :) Nicely done Courtney!

11. Brittany May 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reply

These look amazing, just like the real deal!

12. Sammie May 4, 2012 at 8:50 am Reply

okay… So you totally convinced me to make this the next time I feel like cookies!! mmm….!! (that won’t be too far away) And I love the improvisation of your cookie cutter! I’m the exact same way too! It’s always better to use whatever you can find before having to buy something! (tell me about it. I just threw out 30 bags of junk when I moved)