Cream Cheese Banana Bread

Yeah, I went to a bad place.

As Hubs so eloquently put it, “You take something that’s not too bad for you, add something, and make it a thousand times worse.”

He’s right, of course.

But it’s worse in the best way ever.

Cream Cheese Banana Bread, slightly adapted from What Megan’s Making

3/4 c butter, softened

8 oz cream cheese, softened

2 c sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 c mashed bananas (about 4 medium)

1/2 t vanilla extract

3 c all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1 t salt

In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.  Add in the bananas and vanilla, mixing until combined.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating at low-speed just until combined.  Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8×4-inch loafpans.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs and the sides pull away from the pan.  If necessary, cover with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning.  Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove from pans, and cool completely before slicing.

What’s so great about this bread is that the cream cheese is just a subtle note in this fantastically flavored bread.  It’s barely there (and if you didn’t know about it, you’d never guess).  What that cream cheese does, though, is to make this banana bread super, super moist – and brings out the full sweet banana flavor.

I’d have to say, hands-down, this is the best banana bread I’ve ever had.  (And Kristy, if you guys were still doing your best banana bread search, I SO would’ve submitted this one!)

So go out and start your week right (and a little wrong) – and make this scrumptious bread.

Have a fabulous Monday.

(I know I am – the sun is finally out!)

Tagged: , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Cream Cheese Banana Bread

1. Pâte à Chew June 11, 2012 at 8:50 am Reply

Best banana bread you’ve ever had? That’s saying something! It looks divine!

2. Geni - Sweet and Crumby June 11, 2012 at 10:34 am Reply

I know we would love this at our house! I will definitely go to the “bad place” and give this one a go. :)

3. filingawaycupcakes June 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reply

I bet this was soooo moist! I wish I had some and a coffee right now.

4. Choc Chip Uru June 11, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reply

Going to the bad place is never a bad thing – you prove it :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

5. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 11, 2012 at 2:33 pm Reply

Oh Courtney, I think adding cream cheese, just like sour cream, to cakes is perfectly fine. The only thing I would change is the amount of sugar, my taste buds are quite sensitive to it as I don’t use vey much. I like thi!

6. Norma Chang June 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm Reply

I am with Martyna, would half the sugar. Like the cream cheese idea.

7. Just A Smidgen June 11, 2012 at 5:49 pm Reply

Hmmm.. I mean, “mmmmm” I love banana bread and have just found a new one to try! Yay! Makes me all happy because I’ve always got bananas around and I get a craving for these loaves. Your hubs made me laugh.. but the cream cheese must have made all the difference!

8. Bam's Kitchen June 11, 2012 at 6:49 pm Reply

Hey why stop there… I also want to venture to the other side. Wildly sinful banana bread. Maybe even better with a slather of real butter or cream cheese on top just to kick it up one more notch.

9. ChgoJohn June 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm Reply

There are no bad banana breads. Having said that, this one sounds like it is in a superior class all by itself. I need to get me some bananas!

10. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 13, 2012 at 9:13 am Reply

I was laughing out loud when I read your husband’s comment
    I second John, I need to buy some bananas

11. Kristy June 13, 2012 at 8:57 pm Reply

The kids were just asking me to make a banana bread. We haven’t made one in ages! I think we got a little banana breaded out after the taste test. LOL. I think enough time has passed now though. :)