Pregnancy Craving #4: Chocolate {Death by Chocolate Cupcakes}

What?

I’ve already listed chocolate as a pregnancy craving?

Ooops.  Oh, well.

Not feeling too guilty about it, though, since it is by far the strongest craving I’m having.  Baby Girl really likes her chocolate.  (And I kinda do, too.)

I feel, though, that I truly need to officially warn you before you embark upon this recipe:

This recipe is not for the faint of heart or any chocolate novices.  You many want to consult your doctor before ingesting this amazing chocolate treat.  It is not sweet.  It is not creamy.  It is dark.  It is rich.  It cures any craving in one decadent bite.  Milk, ice cream, and/or coffee is highly recommended to pair with this dessert.

(You think I’m kidding… but I am totally serious.)

Death by Chocolate Cupcakes, adapted from allrecipes.com

1 1/8 c flour

1/4 c unsweetened cocoa

1 1/4 t baking soda

1/4 t salt

1 large egg (which I did not have and substituted 1 T white vinegar and 1 t baking soda)

1/2 c firmly packed light brown sugar

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c + 2 T whole milk

1/3 c strong brewed coffee

1/2 c unsalted butter, melted

1/4 c + dark chocolate chips, lightly tossed in flour

~~~~

1 c semi sweet chocolate chips

3/4 c heavy cream

3 T unsalted butter

extra dark chocolate chips for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners or spray with nonstick spray.

To make the cupcakes, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar.  Whisk in the milk, coffee, and melted butter.  Add the dry ingredients.  Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, filling them about three-quarters full.  Drop dark chocolate chips into the batter – as many or as few as you would like.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Using a small spatula or knife, remove the cupcakes from the pan. Continue to cool on a wire rack to room temperature.

To make the frosting, melt the chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler, or in a heatproof bowl, over barely simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth.  (I just microwaved mine in a glass bowl on high for 3-4 sets of 30 seconds, stirring between sets.)  Heat the cream until hot.  Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate.  Transfer to a bowl and cool to just warm.  Whisk in the butter until smooth.  Let sit until it reaches a spreading consistency, about 1 hour.  Spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes.  Sprinkle them with chocolate chips.

Makes 1 dozen cupcakes.

These were pretty simple to make.  I’m not sure if it was my egg substitute or something else, but my cupcakes ended up being pretty flat on top, with a small collapsed indent in the middle.  Now, you would think this would be disappointing… but it just made more room for the topping.

My only issue with the topping was waiting for that whole hour for the ‘frosting’ to set.  I’m also going to clarify that this really didn’t make what I’d consider a true frosting – it’s more like a thick ganache – and I am NOT complaining.  It was heavenly.

The overall flavor knocks you off your feet with chocolate (refer to warning above).  For me, it was utter perfection and exactly what I was hoping for.  I’m pretty sure, though, it’s not for everyone…

IMG_1813The cupcakes are not as rich as the topping, but they are still amazing – and the addition of some chocolate chips thrown in the batter, adds to each bite, contrasting with the lighter texture of the cake.

So, to sum up, if you LOVE chocolate (dark chocolate, that is), this will be the recipe for you.  It will definitely take you to your happy place.

(I’ve may have gone there several times this weekend… please don’t judge.  :)  )

Tagged: , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Pregnancy Craving #4: Chocolate {Death by Chocolate Cupcakes}

1. Choc Chip Uru February 25, 2013 at 11:46 am Reply

Such chocolatey perfection seems craving perfect! Hope all is well :)

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

• Courtney February 27, 2013 at 8:23 am Reply

Thanks, Uru. Feeling good now; starting to nest and plan the nursery! So fun!

2. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) February 25, 2013 at 4:51 pm Reply

I think CCU must have her radar on. Anything with chocolate in it and she is all over it. CCU is the chocolate expert and I could not agree more. When is your due date? I hope you are feeling well. Take Care, BAM

• Courtney February 27, 2013 at 8:24 am Reply

I’m due at the beginning of June, so still a ways to go. But I’m definitely enjoying the second trimester – and the girl clothes shopping, of course!

• Bam's Kitchen April 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm

How are you doing Courtney? I know the last couple of months seem the longest. Wishing you a very healthy pregnancy. Take care of yourself. BAM

3. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen February 25, 2013 at 9:59 pm Reply

I love your craving!! Now you will have to see if she loves chocolate as much! I bet she will if you make her one of these one day:) I couldn’t believe it when I read “chocolate chips” three times.. at least I think it was three, I’ll have to go back and check. Now this is exactly the sort of dessert I love! xx

• Courtney February 27, 2013 at 8:25 am Reply

Yeah, if she’s like any of the girls/women in my family, Barb, she will definitely love chocolate. I think it’s required. ;)

4. ChgoJohn February 25, 2013 at 10:30 pm Reply

I would so love these, Courtney — and I’ve no pregnancy to credit. I need to save this recipe for when guests are coming over or to bring to a party. If I just make a batch, I will surely eat them. Worse yet, in so little time that it would probably qualify, embarrassingly so, in the Guinness Book of World Records. ;)

• Courtney February 27, 2013 at 8:26 am Reply

They are definitely dangerous to have around the house, John… but I’ve found that since they are so rich, one cupcake can keep you happy for several hours (thank goodness!).

5. Purely.. Kay February 26, 2013 at 8:07 am Reply

Oh I LOVE your pregnancy cravings. I’m not pregnant, but I am having a craving for these chocolate cupcakes.. I could eat these right now :)

• Courtney February 27, 2013 at 8:27 am Reply

They are definitely some of my favorites, Kay. I just wish I still had some…

6. Geni - Sweet and Crumby February 27, 2013 at 3:22 pm Reply

You know I would be thrilled with these dark chocolate devilish cupcakes. YUM! I like your pregnancy craving posts. I am definitely on board with the cravings and would love to eat them even though I am not pregnant.